Mar 03, 2021
Bachelor of Science
Curriculum 0298 Requirements
Exercise and Nutrition Sciences Department
Suggested Semester Plan: Program Pathway
General Education Requirements 33-34 Credits
Up to 14 credits of prerequisite coursework may be required to satisfy GE and will count as elective credit.
Major Departmental Requirements 46-49 Credits
Select one of the following tracks (18-21 cr.):
Dietetics Track (21 cr.)
The Dietetics Track is a didactic program in dietetics, accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Completion of this track leads to eligibility to pursue certification by the Commission on Dietetics Registration (CDR) as a registered dietitian-nutritionist (RD or RDN) or dietetic technician, registered (DTR or DTRN).
Food and Nutrition Track (18 cr.)
The Food and Nutrition Track does not meet the ACEND requirements as a Didactic Program in dietetics. However, students who graduate in this track and wish to earn Commission on Dietetic Registration credentials may do so by pursuing an ACEND-accredited Future Education Model Graduate Program, which provides the remaining required nutrition and dietetics coursework and supervised experiential learning to meet ACEND’s competency requirements to be eligible to become a Registered Dietitian Nutrititonist (RDN).
- Completion of a minor or focus area (including premedical coursework) to align with the student’s professional goals, chosen in consultation with an academic advisor. Note: most students will need at least 9 credits of upper division coursework in this track to fulfill upper division requirements.
Cognate Requirements 41 Credits
Cultural Competence and Human Diversity (3 cr.)
Select one of the following:
Electives 0 Credits
Certain major/cognate courses may also satisfy GE requirements thus increase elective credits accordingly.
Total Credits minimum 120
Additional Degree Requirements
- Minimum grade of “C” in all required nutrition (FNI) and cognate courses.
- Required cognate and nutrition courses can be repeated only once.
- A student may repeat no more than three required cognate and nutrition courses.
- Minimum cumulative GPA maintained at 2.8 or higher. If cumulative GPA is less than 2.8, it must be raised to a minimum of 2.8 by the next semester to remain in the Nutrition Program.
- FNI 443 , FNI 445 , FNI 446 , FNI 450 , and FNI 451 must be taken at SUNY Plattsburgh.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in all required major courses (Major Departmental Requirements).
- Completion of all college-wide degree requirements (Undergraduate Degree Requirements , General Education Program ).