Apr 22, 2021
Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Education
Curriculum 0330/8080 Requirements (The Arts)
Curriculum 0331/8081 Requirements (English Language Arts)
Curriculum 0332/8082 Requirements (Modern Language and Cultures)
Curriculum 0333/8083 Requirements (STEM)
Curriculum 0334/8084 Requirements (Social Studies)
Curriculum 0335/8085 Requirements (Interdisciplinary)
Curriculum 0336 Requirements (No Concentration)
Childhood Education/Special Education Combined Program, B.S./M.S.Ed.
Suggested Semester Plan: Program Pathway
General Education Requirements 33-34 Credits
- Up to 14 credits of prerequisite coursework may be required to satisfy GE and will count as elective credit.
- Students must complete a two-semester, beginning-level sequence or demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English or in American Sign Language. The second semester language also satisfies the GE foreign language requirement (0-6 cr.)
- General Education courses will not count toward Generalist Content.
Major Departmental Requirements 42 Credits
Cognate Requirements 10 Credits
Concentration 30 Credits
See Childhood Education Grades 1-6 for concentration requirements for Generalist and Specialization Content.
- Generalist Content: (15 cr.)
Teacher candidates must take at least one course from each of the General Content areas to address the content knowledge needs of a childhood education teacher. Generalist Content areas include: English Language Arts; Mathematics; the Arts; Social Studies; and, Science.Courses must be in addition to courses used to fulfill General Education.
- Specialization Content: (15 cr.)
Each teacher candidate must take a minimum 15 credits (including 9 credits at the 300 or 400 level) from one of the Specialization Content areas. Specialization Content areas include: The Arts; English Language Arts; Modern Languages and Cultures; Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM); Social Studies; or Interdisciplinary.
Graduate Requirements 42 Credits
Electives 0 Credits
Certain major/cognate courses may also satisfy GE requirements thus increase elective credits accordingly.
Undergraduate Credits minimum 108
(including General Education Requirements)
Graduate Credits minimum 42
Total Credits minimum 150
Additional Degree Requirements
- Students must have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA to become an Education Major. Education majors must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Minimum grade of C in all required undergraduate education courses; Minimum grade of B in all required graduate education courses.
- Minimum grade of C in all cognate and concentration courses.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in all required undergraduate major courses (Major Departmental Requirements 47 Credits).
- A two-semester, beginning-level sequence or demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English or in American Sign Language.
- Successfully conduct themselves professionally at all times.
- Demonstrate professional ethical behaviors
- Completion of all college-wide degree requirements (Undergraduate Degree Requirements , General Education Program ).
- Teacher candidates not meeting one or more of these requirements will be reviewed by the Undergraduate Education Department Academic Progress Committee for possible dismissal from the major.