Nov 30, 2023
General Education Requirements
Students must meet requirements for general education; see The Cardinal Core Curriculum for details.
- General education courses will not count toward the Generalist Content of the major, but may apply to the Specialization Content.
- Students in teacher education must complete a two-semester, beginning-level sequence or demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English or in American Sign Language, which may count towards the Human Communities requirement of the Cardinal Core.
Major Departmental Requirements 42 Credits
Cognate Requirements 10 Credits
Concentration 30 Credits
See Childhood Education Grades 1-6 for concentration requirements for Generalist and Specialization Content.
- Generalist Content: (15 cr.)
Teacher candidates must take at least one course from each of the General Content areas to address the content knowledge needs of a childhood education teacher. Generalist Content areas include: English Language Arts; Mathematics; the Arts; Social Studies; and, Science.Courses must be in addition to courses used to fulfill General Education.
- Specialization Content: (15 cr.)
Each teacher candidate must take a minimum 15 credits (including 9 credits at the 300 or 400 level) from one of the Specialization Content areas. Specialization Content areas include: The Arts; English Language Arts; Modern Languages and Cultures; Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM); Social Studies; or Interdisciplinary.
Graduate Requirements 42 Credits
Electives 0 Credits
Certain major/cognate courses may also satisfy GE requirements thus increase elective credits accordingly.
Undergraduate Credits minimum 108
(including General Education Requirements)
Graduate Credits minimum 42
Total Credits minimum 150
Additional Degree Requirements
- Students must have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA to become an Education Major. Education majors must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Minimum grade of C in all required undergraduate education courses; Minimum grade of B in all required graduate education courses.
- Minimum grade of C in all cognate and concentration courses.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in all required undergraduate major courses (Major Departmental Requirements 42 Credits).
- A two-semester, beginning-level sequence or demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English or in American Sign Language.
- Successfully conduct themselves professionally at all times.
- Demonstrate professional ethical behaviors
- Completion of all college-wide degree requirements (Undergraduate Degree Requirements ).
- Teacher candidates not meeting one or more of these requirements will be reviewed by their respective Education Unit Academic Process Committee for possible dismissal from the major.