May 20, 2018
2017-2018 Undergraduate/Graduate Catalog
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
The requirements for a baccalaureate degree at SUNY Plattsburgh consists of a major and a general education program, which is intended to provide the skills, breadth of knowledge, and perspectives all college graduates should have beyond the major. The bachelor’s degree may also consist of electives and/or a minor. In addition, there are a number of overall degree or graduation requirements. These are described below, followed by the general education program and the various major and minor programs.
Candidates for bachelor’s degrees must meet the following requirements:
- General Education Requirements
Completion of all courses necessary to meet the general education requirements. Certain courses may satisfy both general education requirements in the skills or knowledge and understanding categories and also requirements in the major. Students should see the list of courses approved to meet the general education requirements below and in the Banner Master Schedule (www.plattsburgh.edu/register) and the list of courses required for the major.
- Major Requirements
Completion of all courses required in the major, including departmental requirements, cognate requirements (if any), and for childhood education majors, the liberal arts concentration. Some majors also require course grades and GPAs above the college minimum.
- Credit Hours
- A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for graduation. Because of certification requirements, students in some programs must complete more than 120 credit hours.
- As part of the 120 credits, students must complete a minimum of 90 credits in the liberal arts to be eligible for the bachelor of arts or a minimum of 60 credits in the liberal arts to be eligible for the bachelor of science.
- Also as part of the 120 credits, students must complete courses in the college’s General Education program as well as college elective courses. Some programs require a minor and all programs allow a minor to count toward the required number of college electives. If a student’s major does not require a minor then the student may apply credits from a minor to required college elective credits.
Double Minors: Students may elect to pursue more than one minor and these credits will also apply toward the required number of college electives.
- Students may transfer a maximum of 67 credit hours from a two-year college.
- Students transferring from a four-year college may transfer a maximum of 84 semester credit hours provided that at least 17 of those credit hours were completed at the four-year college and that they meet other appropriate residency requirements at the college.
- A minimum of 45 credit hours of upper-division courses, designated by SUNY Plattsburgh as 300 or 400 level, or its equivalent is required for graduation. Of these upper-division credits, 21 credits must be earned at SUNY Plattsburgh; not more than 21 transfer credits may be used to fulfill this requirement.
NOTE: For students in combined bachelors/masters programs, the first 12 hours of graduate credit will count toward the 45 upper division credits required for the undergraduate degree, as well as toward credit hours required for commencement honors eligibility.
- Students may apply a maximum of four credit hours of physical education activity courses (PED 100-PED 194 ) toward their degree.
- Residency Requirement
- A minimum of 36 credit hours must be completed at SUNY Plattsburgh. Credit earned through examinations may not be counted toward this requirement.
- Senior Residency Requirement: A student must earn 30 of his or her last 36 credits in courses for which he/she is registered through SUNY Plattsburgh. Exceptions:
- students in programs that require final coursework to be completed off campus (i.e., cytotechnology, medical technology, engineering 3+2 programs), pre-pharmacy 3 + 4 program;
- students completing final course work in SUNY-sponsored study abroad and/or student exchange programs such as the National Student Exchange program (sponsored by a university center or four-year liberal arts college);
- students completing final course work through approved cross registration; and
- students majoring in nursing (RN-to-BS Online Program Option).
- A student must complete at least 18 credit hours in his or her chosen major through coursework at SUNY Plattsburgh. These 18 credit hours may not include credit gained by proficiency examination. Note that some programs require that a larger number of credit hours in the major be completed through SUNY Plattsburgh courses.
- Grade Point Average
The minimum requirement to qualify for graduation is a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and an overall 2.0 average in courses which are required major courses (not including cognate courses). In addition, all students, including transfer students, must obtain a minimum grade of C (2.0) in College Writing II (ENG 101 ). Some academic departments also have approved policies requiring minimum grades in specific courses or major sequences. Students should see individual listings of major programs for specific requirements.
- Commencement Honors
Commencement honors are based on the student’s undergraduate GPA at Plattsburgh. Students must complete at least 57 hours of residence study (with a minimum of 45 credit hours graded A through E) at SUNY Plattsburgh to be eligible for honors designations at graduation. Special recognition of superior scholastic achievement is given with the designation of summa cum laude (3.9-4.0 GPA), magna cum laude (3.7-3.89 GPA), and cum laude (3.4-3.69 GPA).